Thread: Key Fob programming

Key Fob programming

Okay, my key fob shouldn't be laundered, I know. But, um...it did. And after 4 days in a bag of rice, still no go. I opened it up and the battery tested DOA. Additionally, the parts inside pretty much crumbled to the touch. I ordered a new fob, got it, included the battery, too. But, I called North Park and they want $120.00 to program the new fob!!! Is that rediculous or what? I mean, they're not providing any parts, right?

Okay, so does anyone know how to get this done for MUCH less??? Anyone?
    George Lucas
    Editor, In The Breeze

2012 Special Edition, Velocity Red (of course)

Blog Entries
    I found a video that told about programming it yourself and had these instructions.

2006-2009 MX-5 with out Smart Entry System

1. Remove key from ignition

2. Close all doors.

3. Open drivers door.

4. Perform following steps within 24 seconds. A. Turn ignition switch ON and back to LOCK position three times B. Close and open drivers door three times C. Door locks should lock and unlock automatically, if they do not wait 40 seconds and repeat procedure starting at step 1.

5. Press UNLOCK button of each keyless remote to be programmed twice, door locks should lock and unlock after each remote is programmed. If door locks do not lock and unlock proceed as follows. A. Close and open drivers door once, door should lock and unlock twice. If door locks do not lock and unlock, start procedure over with step 3.

6. Exit vehicle and test remote(s)

If this doesn't help Google "programming your key fob for your car". If that is all there is then $120 is a ripoff.

Don Privett to the rescue..........AGAIN.

As I stated earlier in this thread, one of my key remotes drowned. That was my "good" remote, my original first one has a glitch in the buttons. So, I ordered a new remote. Tried programming the remote using the remote's provider to no avail. Tried every which way, and truthfully, I think those instructions were written by someone that English may not be their first language. So, what to do, what to do...I put out an alert here and sure enough, Don Privett saw it, realized that this dummy (that would be me) wasn't having any luck and needed help. Sure enough, he did more research and posted the instructions from one of his sites. WORKED first time! I was able to program both of my remotes!

The value of people like Don in our club is immeasurable.

Thanks Don, you're the best!

Oh, let me add that dealers want a fortune to sell you a remote and program it for an additional $120. I paid $24.95 for the remote on Amazon and only a few dollars to have the key cut.

Last edited by Coolhand; 10-31-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    George Lucas
    Editor, In The Breeze

2012 Special Edition, Velocity Red (of course)

Blog Entries
    Great news George. I'm glad it worked out.

I've searched many times on how to fix things and there is almost always someone on YouTube that explains how to do what you are trying to accomplish. The internet is a great thing.

Don